Tea has been used medicinally in all cultures across the globe. It can be so nourishing, relaxing, and easy to do. Below are some common herbal teas that you can use as medicine to take away your tummy troubles, and other ailments as well. Combining herbs is a great way to get many medicinal benefits as well as creating new flavors. Who says you can't put two tea bags in one cup of tea?
1. Chamomile – prevents or relieves stomach cramps, calms the nervous system (including stress and anxiety), anti gas and bloating, helps nausea, heartburn and headaches. The slightly bitter flavor of chamomile is what makes it a great digestive aid.
2. Lemon balm – calms the digestive system and nervous system, contains many vitamins and minerals, helps abdominal pain, gas and bloating.
3. Ginger - stimulates the digestive system, helps in the absorption of nutrients, absorbs gases and toxins and helps the skin to release toxins through the sweat.
4. Fennel seeds – relieves nausea, anti-flatulence, anti-gas, relieves stomach cramps, helps indigestion and bloating.
5. Dandelion root and leaf – improves digestion, and acts as mild laxative agent. Roasted dandelion root is a great liver cleanser, and can be used as a coffee substitute. Dandelion leaf is a great kidney cleanser and acts like a diuretic to reduce water weight.
6. Peppermint - relieves irritable bowel syndrome, calms digestive spasm, relieves gas and reduces pain and discomfort.
Dr. Melissa DeForest: I am a Naturopathic Doctor who specializes in digestive disorders. My goal is to educate, inspire, and empower others to lead a life they love.
Disclaimer: All information presented here is for educational purposes only, and should not be taken as medical advice. Please consult with your doctor before starting any new exercise, supplement, or diet routine.